Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cauliflower Cheddar Soup

I have been sick all week and this soup has proved itself as a perfect comfort food. It has a deep savory flavor and will warm up your whole body. Making it did feel a bit time consuming, but I threw it in my slow cooker so I didn't have to actively watch it. I do wish the photos would have turned out a bit better, but let's blame it on my being sick at the time! This recipe makes about three cups and is based off of this Closet Cooking recipe.


Prep Time: 10-20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients
Half head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
Two (2) cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning -- the original recipe called for thyme, which I didn't have, but the dry seasoning worked very well
Two (2) cups of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded -- I used half mild cheddar and half sharp white cheddar
1/2 cup of milk -- you can use cream to make the soup thicker, but I used almond milk and it worked just fine
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat your oven to 450F degrees.
Toss the cauliflower florets with 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil, salt, and pepper.
Line a casserole dish with foil and evenly place the cauliflower in the dish.
Roast the cauliflower for 30 minutes. It should be nice and crispy when it is done.
While the cauliflower is roasting, saute the onion with the remainder of the oil in a frying pan.
Add garlic to the pan and top with the seasoning (or thyme, or whatever herbs/spices you decided to use). Heat for a couple more minutes.
Add the sauteed mixture, vegetable broth and the cauliflower (once it is done) to your slow cooker.
Heat on 'high' for a few minutes and then reduce to medium heat for 20 minutes.
Pour your mixture into a food processor or blender and blend to your desired consistency. (Be careful because the soup will still be hot!)
After the soup is pureed, return to the slow cooker and continue on medium heat. Slowly stir in the cheese until it is completely melted.
Turn the heat off completely while you stir in the milk.
Pour into a bowl & eat right away, keep warming it in the Crock Pot, or refrigerate and save for later!

2 comments:

  1. Just made this. It was good! Until I added the milk, I thought it was going to be too thick, but it was just the right consistency. I used thyme and added a dash of cayenne pepper to give it some kick. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I'm glad to hear that! And good call with the cayenne. I'll have to try that next time!

      Delete