Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mock-Tuna Chickpea Salad

I have heard this concoction called a variety of things (my favorite is coined by The Kitchn as "Chickpea of the Sea"), but whatever you call it, it is a delicious protein-packed meat alternative. This recipe is a modification of a few different recipes including one by The Apron Archives and The V Word. My recipe will make three to four servings.



Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: none

Ingredients
One (1) can of chickpeas,
drained and rinsed
Two (2) tablespoons of mayonnaise -- with a vegan substitute, this recipe will be completely vegan
1/2 teaspoon of stone ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon of onion powder
Old Bay for seasoning

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, begin to smash the chickpeas with a fork. They should be about 80% smashed by the time that you're done with them.
Thoroughly mix in the mayonnaise and mustard.

Slowly add in the onion powder and Old Bay. Taste as you go so as not to put too much or too little of your preferred flavor.
Spoon onto a roll, sandwich bread, crackers or enjoy on its own.

2 comments:

  1. I've been doing this for years, glad to see it here! If I'm in a hurry, I'll use ranch dressing -makes it tangy. Greek yogurt works nicely, too, if you're watching the calories. I love it on a toasted bagel with some sprouts, red onion and a little lettuce. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love it! It's the perfect texture and flavor for me. I think that putting it on a bagel with sprouts will be my next move because that sounds lovely.

      Delete