Monday, July 1, 2013

Spinach, Mushroom & Cheese Crepes

I can't believe that I have been writing this blog for a year-and-a-half and have never blogged about crepes. First off, I LOVE CREPES. Like, I probably have an unnatural obsession with them. There was a time when I first moved into my own apartment that I ate Nutella crepes every morning. Coincidentally, I gained a lot of weight then, too. But that brings me to my second point: I've been making crepes long before I really knew how to cook much else. I guess it's because it's a pretty easy recipe and most (if not all) of the ingredients are things that people just happen to have in their cupboard at any given time. It's important to note that I am not a "fancy" crepe maker. I don't own a griddle or one of those crepe-smoother-outter things (which are apparently called 'batter trowels'), but don't worry -- they will turn out tasty with or without the extra equipment. This recipe makes one thicker crepe (which is what I made for myself) or two thin crepes.


Prep Time: 5-7 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
One (1) egg
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
One (1) tablespoon of butter, melted
1/2 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
One (1) cup of fresh spinach, sauteed
Two (2) ounces of cheese of your choice, shredded -- A lot of different cheese could go with this: feta, swiss, goat cheese, ricotta. I used a smoked provolone.
Handful of mushrooms, sliced and sauteed


Directions
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the egg in with the milk and butter.
Slowly stir in the flour and salt until everything is completely blended and the batter is a little thin.
In a heated, greased griddle (I use a frying pan), pour half of the batter into the pan and swirl around until it the pan is completely coated evenly with the batter.
Let it cook for about two minutes (or until it is golden brown).
Flip the crepe and cook the other side.


While the second side is cooking, spoon in the spinach, mushrooms and cheese. Fold the crepe like you would an omelet so the heat melts the cheese.
When both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan (and place the pan on a cool burner until you're ready to make the second crepe).
Repeat for the second crepe.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment