Friday, July 19, 2013

Baked Spaghetti Squash

I've made a couple spaghetti squash recipes before and, when I was given a fresh garden squash from a good friend this week, I almost made one of the ol' faithful recipes. I'm glad I decided to go rogue and try something new. This recipe was delicious, portioned, and easy to make. Oh, and spaghetti squash is much healthier to eat than spaghetti noodles! I got the idea for this recipe from a food blog called Cooking with my Kid; the only differences are that my recipe is meatless and I cooked it on my own (no kids here!). My recipe makes two servings.


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes

Ingredients
1/2 large spaghetti squash -- use the other half to make another recipe or double this recipe!
One (1) cup of tomato sauce -- I used Bertolli's olive oil & garlic tomato sauce
1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning -- the original recipe calls for fresh oregano and basil, but I didn't have any on hand; this worked just fine
Pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat your oven to 425F degrees.
Scoop all of the seeds out of your squash.
Drizzle olive oil on the inside of the squash. Other people might hate that I did this, but to make it quicker and more evenly spread, I sprayed it with Olive Oil PAM.

I've said it before & I'll say it again:
Spaghetti squash is MAGIC.

Bake your squash in a casserole dish for 15 minutes, face-up and then 25 minutes, face-down.
While your squash is baking, mix the ricotta, egg, tomato sauce, and all the seasoning/herbs together.
Once your squash is done, comb through its "meat" with a fork. This will create noodle-like squash pieces.


Spoon these into a colander and let them drain for a few minutes.
Readjust your oven to 350F degrees.
Toss the squash "noodles" in with the sauce mixture and make sure it's all mixed evenly.
Spoon into two ramekins (or one small casserole dish or pie pan).
Top with cheese.


Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove, let cool, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment