Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

I had some super-ripe bananas left over this week and yes, I love banana bread, but I really don't want to eat it every time my bananas get too ripe. (Seriously -- this is a recurring problem that probably could be fixed by my buying less bananas. Oh well.) Anyway, it hit me. Bananas. Peanut Butter. Chocolate. YES. A quick Google search pulled up a few recipes (like this one from How Sweet It is) & I was off to preheating my oven. These cookies were delicious, and next time I might sprinkle a bit of cinnamon in them, or something wild like that. This recipe makes a dozen large cookies & I hope you enjoy!


Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Paula Deen would be proud
Ingredients
Two (2) over-ripe bananas, mashed -- these cookies turned out to be very banana-y so if you're unsure about that, just use one banana
One (1) heaping cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
Three (3) tablespoons of peanut butter, melted and cooled -- I originally wanted to use creamy PB, but I accidentally bought crunchy, which turned out to be the greatest mistake of all time because it was perfect 
Four (4) tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled 
One (1) teaspoon of vanilla extract 
1/2 egg yolk -- I know this is weird, but it works out perfectly. If you use only one banana, throw in the entire yolk. 
Large handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Pinch of salt

Directions 
Preheat oven to 325F degrees. 
Mix all dry ingredients (flour, white & brown sugar, baking powder, salt) in a large mixing bowl. 
In a separate bowl, mix mashed bananas, melted peanut butter, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg yolk in a smaller mixing bowl.


Slowly pour and mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a dough.
Add chocolate chips and fold them into the dough.
Put the dough in the fridge for about five minutes to firm up.
When you remove the dough from the fridge, use your hands or a spoon to form the cookie and place on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove, let cool, and enjoy!

1 comment: