Monday, January 7, 2013

Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy

There are only a few meaty dishes that I miss from my non-vegetarian days. Luckily, most of them have amazing meatless substitutes. This recipe definitely fits into that category. It makes 2-4 servings. The biscuit recipe is the same that I've used before and here is the original gravy recipe. Also, I really need to express how difficult to make photos of biscuits and gravy look appetizing. I hope they do it justice, because this was a very delicious dish.


Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-45 minutes

Ingredients
for gravy
12-14 ounces of your favorite vegetarian sausage -- I used LightLife's Gimme Lean sausage
One (1) tablespoon of olive oil
Two (2) tablespoons of butter
Two (2) tablespoons of all-purpose flour

Two (2) cups of milk -- I used almond milk
Salt & Pepper to taste -- I used at least one teaspoon of pepper, probably more


for biscuits (this is half of the original recipe)
1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/3 cup of butter
1/2 cup of milk -- I used almond milk
Two (2) teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
3/8 teaspoon of salt 




Directions
Preheat your oven to 450F degrees.
Prep and bake biscuits according to this previous recipe. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
While your biscuits are baking, heat olive oil in a frying pan and toss in the sausage. Crumble it while it cooks and browns. Set aside.
In a separate medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
When it is melted, slowly whisk in the flour to create a roux.

Slowly and steadily whisk in the milk. This will create a thick sauce. This`will take about 15 minutes.
Mix in the browned sausage and season with pepper.
When they are finished, split the biscuits and top with the sausage gravy.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Vegetarian gravy....very clever! Just discovered your blog via twitter and am looking forward to following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear this! I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete