Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Philly Cheese "Steak"

This is one of the most delicious recipes that I have tried in a long time. Additionally, it doesn't take the much time to make, so it's definitely one that I'm keeping around for awhile. There aren't many Philly Cheese Steak equivalents for vegetarians, which is a shame, since it is one of my favorites from my meat-eating days. This recipe works fabulously for those not eating meat or those that want to cut back on fat, but not taste. (There is a large difference in the fat content in steak versus a portobello mushroom.)

Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients (makes two sandwiches)
Two (2) sliced portobello mushroom caps, destemmed -- I bought the ones that are presliced. I used four slices per sandwich
One (1) sliced red bell pepper
1/2 sliced white onion 
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Oregano and black pepper to taste
One (1) tablespoon of soy sauce
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
3/4 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
Two (2) sub rolls or pieces of French bread -- I used Jimmy John's bread
Four (4) slices of provolone cheese

Directions
Pour olive oil into pan and warm to medium heat.
Toss in sliced veggies. Cook until soft (about five minutes).
Mix soy sauce and vegetable stock. Put aside.
Turn down to low heat.
Slowly stir in flour and vegetable stock mixture. This will cause the veggies to get thicker. Make sure it's all stirred in before removing from stove.
Place on cool burner and lay slices of cheese on top. Cover for 1-2 minutes so that it melts.
While cheese is melting, butter the bread and toast in pan for a few minutes.
Remove and put your Cheese "Steak" into the bread.
Let cool and eat your delicious concoction!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey there , Thank you for your new web blog document, how do you pick out so many stories and it not be uninteresting. . .Awesome looking website. I recently built mine and I was looking for some design ideas and you gave me a few. Can I ask you whether you developed the website by yourself?

    Gourmet Secrets

    ReplyDelete