Thursday, August 1, 2013

Leftovers Club: Overnight Oats

Overnight oats have become increasingly interesting to me. I decided to throw some together and send them off for my Leftovers Club post this month. You can essentially add anything to your overnight oats, but because I was sending it out, I couldn't put in any fruit (or anything that couldn't ship, for that matter). Not to fear: I made chocolate, coconut & almond overnight oats! This recipe makes one serving (and was inspired by this post).

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes, but you must let sit overnight

Ingredients
1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 tablespoon of whole chia seeds -- you can leave these out, but they are supposedly super-healthy for you and great for vegetarians as they have tons of protein
Two (2) tablespoons of shredded coconut
One (1) tablespoon of slivered almonds
1/2 tablespoon of semisweet chocolate chips
One (1) teaspoon of ground cinnamon
One (1) cup of milk -- I used almond milk**

Directions
Put the oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon into a jar.
If you are ready to make the overnight oats, add the milk and shake until all of the ingredients seem to be mixed well. Don't let anything clump up.

Leave in the fridge overnight and in the morning, shake again.
Pour into a bowl (or eat out of the jar for a breakfast on the go!).


Top with the almonds, coconut and chocolate chips.
Enjoy!

**I did not send this with the milk in it, obviously. I put all of the dry ingredients into a jar, added the directions and sent it off like that. This makes a great gift!

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea - especially for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love overnight oats. I have done it with a milk/yogurt combo and that is good too. Especially with dried apples and cinnamon. What a great thing to mail!

    ReplyDelete