Sunday, May 20, 2012

Santa Fe Salad Sandwich


To those in the DC region, you know what I mean when I say that Chop't is probably the #1 thing I miss about living in the District. And if you've never tried Chop't before (or are a displaced Chop't lover like me), this recipe is for you.  The best part of that restaurant is that they take all of your salad ingredients, toss them together and then literally chop them up with a mezzaluna chopper until it is shredded. While I don't have a mezzaluna knife (yet!), I do always ensure that my homemade salad sandwiches are pretty finely chopped.

My favorite thing on the Chop't menu is the Santa Fe salad sandwich with the Tex-Mex ranch. The salad is not difficult to replicate, but I kept running into an issue with the dressing because it's not sold in the stores. I found a vague recipe online, tweaked it and now make the dressing myself. I think you'll enjoy it!

Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: none


Ingredients
for salad sandwich
Two (2) cups of Romaine lettuce
1/2 cup of tomato, chopped -- I have had the most luck with cherry tomatoes
One (1) avocado, sliced into small cubes

1/4 cup of sweet corn kernels
1/4 cup of black beans
1/4 cup of crispy onions
1/4 cup of pepper jack cheese, cubed
Two fajita tortillas
for Tex-Mex ranch dressing
Two (2) tablespoons of ranch dressing
One (1) teaspoon of lime juice
Two (2) teaspoons of paprika
Two (2) teaspoons of cumin
Directions
Once you've prepped everything (pretty much just chopping all of the salad ingredients up), mix them gently.
Warm tortillas on stovetop.
While you are warming the tortillas, mix all of the ingredients for the dressing together in a separate bowl. Taste as you go, so you can get the flavor to exactly how you'd like it.
Lightly toss dressing into the salad mix.
Spoon salad into tortilla and wrap like a burrito.
Enjoy!

1 comment: