Monday, January 18, 2016

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats

In September, I rescued a dog. For the holidays, I decided to make her (& some of her dog friends) homemade treats. They're so much healthier for the dog because you can choose exactly what to put in them. This recipe is a huge one and makes quite a bit of treats, so be sure to share and eat within the week, or freeze for future use (up to 3 months). This recipe is adapted from Kevin & Amanda (be sure to click through because they have the cutest photos of their pups posted!).

Chickpea loves homemade treats

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
 
Ingredients
1/2 cup of natural peanut butter -- I didn't buy special peanut butter for this, but I did use Jif Natural Low Sodium peanut butter (I buy this for myself anyway) 
One (1) cup of pumpkin puree -- I used the canned puree; make sure it is 100% pumpkin
1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour -- You can use all-purpose flour, but I read that it's much better for your dog to have whole wheat flour, so I used that
1/4 cup of parsley, chopped -- This is good for a dog's bad breath

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together peanut butter and pumpkin puree.
Slowly stir in the flour, so as to not leave any lumps.
Fold in parsley.


At this point, you can either roll out the dough and use cookie cutters or hand-roll them into small bite-size balls (I did the latter, since it was easier).


Bake for 10 minutes, or until cooked through. 
Remove, let cool, and share with your favorite pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment